September 101

Esther
Hi all!! Consider this your play space to share ideas, resources, "a ha" moments from class or the homework assignments!

This first week in class we started thinking about group mind and learning the basics of a good improv scene:
yes, and; details, emotions, and consequences.

What were your take-aways from this first class?

-Esther

Re: September 101

amandaromi
I'm so stoked to be in this class man.

I was really impressed with how natural Crazy Cristin was in the carpool scene.
You're naturally funny girl!

As far as take aways this week, I think I just walked away feeling excited to be in this class. I've got a lot of depressing shit going on in my life right now so it was so so good to come in and just laugh.

Grace and Peace my friends,

Amanda

I'm In -- Thanks, Esther, for The Fun! ...Re: September 101

Tawmess
I'm Into The Forums!
 -- and, Big Thanks, Esther,
for guiding us all,
to more of "The Fun of Life"!

And...
just to be involved,
with such an eager group
of dedicated fearlessly bold learners
-- that is a Big Blessing, already!

And, such highly-honed guidelines,
and "structured plays"
to practice those reliable guidelines!

I'm smiling, already!
~ Tawmess

Re: September 101

Ben C.
It's great to learn some new games and exercises, and to meet some new faces. Originally, when I got into improv, it was for the classes only, to pick-up various new people skills or communication skills. And, to hopefully make some new friends. Now, I've actually reached the point where I might consider performing, and not just for a student showcase.

So, I'm excited to be part of this class and learn all kinds of new stuff, with a group of new faces. :)

I know it will be an overall challenge for me, because the TIM style is faster than the style I learned at Unscrewed Theater. But, hopefully it will work for me, and not against me. I'm usually a pretty laid back and relaxed kind of guy. So, the thought of lightening-fast improv, kind of scares me.

And also like Amanda said, when you are battling some kind of emotional issues, or stress, or depression, or something else, the improv classes are a great way to put your mind somewhere else for a moment. It's a healthy drug. :)

Thanks Esther! See you on Saturday!

~Ben C.

Re: September 101

Michael Marks
So here is a real life "yes, and" moment.  I had an appointment at UA Health Promotion and Prevention Services to talk with their Director and walked in to the waiting area where I was greeted by a smiling energetic co-ed who asked, "Are you here for the free condoms?"

 "Yes, I'd like a case, " to which she laughed.

"Bet you didn't expect that from an old guy?"  I mocked playing an old guy.

"No, but now I know why you have a nice smile," she giggled

"Yes, my doctor assures me it will keep me young."

Unfortunately, the Director came out and we had to end the exchange.  Normally, I would have been more formal and just explained that I had an appointment and just waited for the Director to come out of their office.

Week #2> "emotions" for our "Count to 100" assignment -- some lists of "emotions"... Re: September 101

Tawmess
Week #2>
For our "Count to 100" assignment
 -- here are some lists of "emotions"...
(from -- https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emotions )

List #1> Robert Plutchik's theory -- Plutchik's "Wheel of Emotions"

This theory says that the eight basic emotions are:
   Fear → feeling afraid. Other words are terror (strong fear), shock, phobia
   Anger → feeling angry. A stronger word is rage.
   Sadness → feeling sad. Other words are sorrow, grief or depression.
   Joy → feeling happy. Other words are happiness, gladness.
   Disgust → feeling something is wrong or dirty
   Trust → a positive emotion; admiration is stronger; acceptance is weaker
   Anticipation → in the sense of looking forward positively. Expectation is more neutral.
   Surprise → how one feels when something unexpected happens

List #2> Book Two of Aristotle's "Rhetoric"...
This theory says that the emotions are:
   Anger, opposite calmness (not feeling excited).
   Friendship, opposite enmity (feeling hate)
   Fear, opposite courage (having no fear)
   Shame, opposite confidence -- shamelessness
   Kindness (benevolence), opposite cruelty (kindness: when people are good to other people)
   Pity (when people feel sorry for other people)
   Indignation (feeling angry because something is not fair, such as undeserved bad fortune)
   Envy, jealous (pain when people have something that one wishes for oneself)
   Love, a strong emotion of attachment one feels for someone else.

List #3> The engineered language "Lojban"

This constructed language has words showing these emotions:

   Simple emotions
      discovery - anger
      envy - no surprise - expectation
      wonder - surprise - commonplace
      happiness - sadness
      amusement - weariness
      courage - timidity - cowardice
      pity - cruelty

   Complex emotions
      pride - modesty- shame
      closeness - detachment - distance
      complaint/pain - doing average - pleasure
      caution - boldness - rashness
      patience - mere tolerance - anger
      relaxation - composure - stress
      envy - goodwill

   Pure emotions
      fear - nervousness - security
      togetherness - privacy
      respect - disrespect
      appreciation - envy
      love - no love lost - hatred
      hope - despair
      confusion - being confused
______________________________________

Re: September 101

Ben C.
I am starting a group FB chat so we can stay in touch and have an easier time planning things when needed. I don't know who else is on FB. Here's my link if you'd like to add me: https://www.facebook.com/bee.eee.nnn.ccc

So far it's me and Seton and Crazy Cristin in the group. Come join us!

It was fun, what we all did on Friday night. Amanda pulled an all nighter. :) I did too. I don't usually stay out that late, but it was worth it, with such great company.

I look forward to making friends and spending some time with more people from the class, outside of class. :)

And don't forget to come by Office Hours some time. I went to both so far, and it was good stuff!

Re: September 101

Jordan
Oh no!  Where did the page go?  I tried to click it but it no workee :(

Re: September 101

Ben C.
Jordan, try to copy and paste just the link, without clicking on it. I tried it too, and I see what you're saying. I don't know why, but it looks like there is some additional data added to the end of the link when you click on it, which is making it not work.

Re: September 101

Ben C.
For your information, I will not be in town for the showcase. I'll be thinking about you all though. Break a leg!