Improv101-January, 2018!

Andrew
So excited to spend the next 6 weeks learning improv with you all.  I can already tell we have a great group!  Please share ah hah moments, cool links to things, impressions on class, things you learned, etc!  Let's keep the conversation going!

Class roster:
Micheal Areinoff
Erika Arett
Allan Dew
James Fagan
Emma Fajardo
Anne Huggins
Chloe Jackson
Verna
Joshua Steinberg
Ariel Fisher

Re: Improv101-January, 2018!

Jimmy Fagan
Hey everyone, having a blast so far in the class, seems like we have a good group!

I am ashamed to say I have never seen a full Star Wars movie, and so I froze up big time (literally too) when that "Luke I am your father" scene came up during freeze (sorry Ariel!). I looked up the scene, so I would know the context a little better if something similar came up again, but even without knowing the scene being referenced, there were so many better ways I could have handled that. Ariel had a pretty brilliant pivot to get us out of that and into toddlers playing, but since I was so helpless initially it took us a while to get there.

Which brings me to my question: does anybody have tips for not dwelling on choices that could have gone better? I find myself thinking "I wish I did this instead of that" or "oh man it would have been so perfect if I did this", sometimes even about scenes that went really well anyway. Maybe there's nothing more than "just don't do that", but I'm just curious if anybody else kind of experiences the same thing, or has any ideas.

Re: Improv101-January, 2018!

Chloe
Hey Jimmy!

I find myself thinking about different ways I could have handled a scene too. It’ll be hours later or the next day and I’ll start  thinking was I too controlling? Was I staying in the moment and really listening? I should have said this or that!

I assume it’s just natural. If anything it just shows that you care and that you’re aware of an area you want to improve.

Drawing on what we’ve heard in class I’d say just commit to whatever it is you think of since there are no mistakes in improv! Getting stuck on the next line of dialogue is something I find myself challenged with as well. I’d love to hear if anybody has some good advice on that!

Re: Improv101-January, 2018!

Michael
I've had the same reactions, and I'm sure it's just a normal part of the improv growing process.  I don't know if it's good advice or not, but I suspect it helps to come back to what we talked about in the first class of just building off of the last line spoken.  That way, it's less about, "Damn, I should have said that or done this other thing," and more of, "OK, what's being said right now and how do I build on that?"  Basically, live in the moment.

Jimmy's comment made me consider another question, though, which is what to do when improv explicitly references pop culture that you're not familiar with.  I know I've seen shows where some suggestion or instruction is based on a pop culture reference I wouldn't have been familiar with (e.g., Arianna Grande)--any advice for good recovery in those situations?

Re: Improv101-January, 2018!

Josh
Hey Michael,

I've seen this happen several times during the shows. Im not sure what the best move is in that situation but I think its always funny when the person makes a comment that "owns" their unfamiliarity with the topic. Also it lets other people in the scene know that you don't know about that topic. For example " P1:The new Arianna Grande is fantastic! P2: So great! much better than the Arianna pequena. Whatever your reaction is, is the right one. The other person will just have to deal with the fact you're uncultured (;

Now if anyone has tips on how to get into character please share. I feel ridiculous whenever I have to play a character thats drastically different from myself particularly with accents. I get caught up in how ridiculous it sounds and often vary the accent i'm doing throughout the scene. I think this is what were going over next class but if anyone has advice it'd be appreciated!

Re: Improv101-January, 2018!

Chloe
Hey 101ers!

I just signed up for 201. I know Michael has as well. The price goes up after tomorrow! I hope to see all of you for another 6 weeks!

Let’s keep yes, and-ing together!