Improv 301 - Feb/March 2018

Jessica Peck
Welcome to the 301 thread!  This will be a place where we can have homework discussions, improv thoughts/questions, "Aha" moments,  and any other interesting "finds" you may have!  I really want this thread to be a place for us to dive in and keep the conversation going over the week in the forums.  Yay Improv!!!

Class Roster:
ARTYOM ABRAMYAN
SOUMAYA BELMECHERI
ANGEL HERNANDEZ
RAFI HERRERAS-ZINMAN
MICHAEL LAURIO
NICOLE RIESGO
JEREMY SHOCKLEY
MARK STEINER
STEPHANIE TSANG
LINDA VARELA
MELANIE WAIDANZ

Homework

Marky Mark
I liked taking the idea turnpike into pikes with birthday cakes on them! I liked the warm-ups too.

Game is finding the odd thing in a "normal" situation, or finding the normal thing in an "odd" situation.

Pattern from Seinfeld, Jerry is always dating a beautiful woman, but sabotages the relationship by focusing on some small imperfection.

Hump Day🐪

Re: Homework

Jessica Peck
Great game definition Mark!  And yes, that Seinfeld episode of his continued obsession with little flaws is a perfect example of game and heightening :)

Re: Improv 301 - Feb/March 2018

Steph Tsang

Homework:

 "We are the most (blank) (people in a given occupation) ever."

 "This (place) is the most (blank) ever."
 "You are the most (blank) (person in a given occupation) ever

a.) Example 1:

1. We are the most cost-effective assassins ever!
2. Yes! For the low, low price of $29.99, you might never have to deal with that annoying neighbor again!
1. Order now, and we'll throw in the head of your middle school history teacher for the low, low price of $10.99.
2. Rusty chainsaw found at the dump, lacing the reunion casserole with Arsenic, hand "accidentally" gets jammed in the toaster and they beat themselves to death with it?  We've a plethora of excellent and exciting budget-friendly options for the people of your choosing to exit this world.
1. Taxes got you down?  For a limited time only, order during our "Tax Season Special" and receive this FREE topsy-turvy 15-foot household ladder as a backup gift for the upcoming holiday season.
2.  If you aren't satisfied with our "Assassination Only" package, we've also a "Suffer Endlessly" and "Permanent Nightmare" plugins/add-ons to consider as well, where, for example, said candidate has their memory continually wiped and they are thrust into a full-simulated impending death situation on repeat.  Simulation scenarios can range on the spectrum from getting mauled to death by a bear continually or listening to your neighbor talk for hours.
1. And what if you prefer the more "traditional methods" of execution such as the guillotine or lethal injection? Our budget-friendly options certainly fit-the-bill on those on as well.  Satisfaction or your $29.99 back, guaranteed!  We'll throw in a freebie for kicks as well.
2. And what about "accountability," you ask?  Well, you needn't worry about that.  Because somewhere along the progressing, feigned murder investigation, some piece of evidence will always manage to "not fit", be it a shoe ... or a glove.
1. And once you are acquitted, it's time to celebrate.
2.  (Announcer voice) This message was sponsored by the Confessions of OJ Simpson foundation.

Example 2.

1. This is the most awe-inspiring place to check out dinosaurs ever!
2. Who knew that traveling to the upper Cretaceous would be as easy as flipping through this "Choose Your Own Adventure" book?!  I really thought we were just going to do our usual "Saturday-evening-on-the-couch-with-NETFLIX" date, dear ...
1. ... But this is way more CHILL than that? Hmmm, I just wish there were bacon over here ...
2. Agreed! Oh, look at these beautiful Cycads and enormous Saurischian dinosaurs.  How magnificent.
1. The air is soooo fresh and breathable here!  ::inhales enthusiastically and deeply:: No smog or anything to worry about; I can only smell plants and dinosaur coprolites ...
2.  Dear, here ... they are not coprolites yet ... just a fresh batch of ...
1. DROPPINGS! ::shields themselves::
2. Yes, indeed ....
1. No, from the Pterodactyl above!
2. Aww, rats! :: wipes eyes ::  ... Did you know that the T-Rex was likely a scavenger given the relative size of their arms and ... wait ... are you ... eating baby dinosaur egg?
1. ::nods:: When in Rome ...

Example 3

1. You are the most aggressive and sarcastic bingo announcer ever.  Could you please lower your voice while our residents are trying to get their rest ...
2. (smugly) Well, I was only trying to give these wonderful residents of yours some excitement before they rested permanently.
1. Please, that is undeniably rude and not to mention morbid of you.
2. You left out "pleasant."
1. I realize announcing the bingo 3 times a day, every day of the week, and then for our bingo weekend tournaments can grow a bit trite, but we really need to ask you to stop layering in your snarky comments; just please, announce the numbers and try to keep the game positive and uplifting for our residents.
2. Well, I 'H8' this job.
1. Considering you have all of the other leisurely games to engage in with our residents like dominoes, Monopoly, and cards, I think you have a pretty swell setup here ...
2. SWELL, LET'S GET THIS NEXT GAME STARTED THEN!
1. Please, stop yelling.  You're yelling and spitting again ...
2. WHO'S READY TO PLAY SOME #%$^#@$ BINGO?! ::feedback on microphone:::

For previous homework(s), I was trying to think of "fish out of water" examples, and I don't know if this completely applies, but I think a great deal of Charlie Chaplin's humor ties to "fish-out-of-water" scenarios (e.g. being the quintessential tramp at a fancy gala ,or his delicate, relatively smaller sized self amongst others in prison or while working in a factory ... in the 1930's too mind you ...where machines are much less automated and programmable ... or in a boxing match, eating a shoe for Thanksgiving dinner):  https://youtu.be/Zgc20uN2ySU

Re: Improv 301 - Feb/March 2018

Jessica Peck
Super great examples Steph!  I absolutely adore the cost effective assassins one :)  You should submit that as a sketch for the sketch team!  Also, I think Chaplin is a great example of fish out of water and physical comedy at it's finest.  He's the buffoon in the fancy restaurant that screws everything up.

Re: Homework

Steph Tsang
Oops -- I realize I probably should have replied with my previous homework responses to this thread.

To recap on the previous week's course, my two favorites amongst the game techniques were Emotions and Status.  I really enjoyed the contrast between playing the partner who could "feed/gift-give" with rather innocuous, benign statements to the other partner who was progressively heightening with their emotions and then also finding new heighten the scene with emotion with the latter, especially when one has reached the point in which they felt they could no longer heighten any further.  It was fun to think of new ways to push the heightening limit of an emotion within a scene (e.g. "How could I possibly get this character to express a greater level of happiness than they already have?), and it was fun to complement the emotionally reacting partner with new events, objects, and responses in which they could explore new ways to heighten their emotional reactions.

Status was also very enjoyable for me as a game, because it is fun to infer what your own status is based off of the responses of the scene partner and modulate that with what you know their status to be.  It didn't necessarily feel like it was a form of "denial" either, but rather a way to explore a new way to develop a scene, while there is this 'background game" of integrating the 'speculated' statuses into the scene.

That is all for now ... the game of laundry and ironing ensues for me, henceforth.

Re: Homework

Nicole
Out of the three game techniques we reviewed last week I think my favorite would have to be Character, with Emotion in a close second. I liked Character cause I think some of the funniest scenes from the last class came when a character trait was given to scene partners who went all out with the given physical trait, personality trait, or action. Like discussed in class, usually accents that slip or are completely off are funny in-and-of themselves, and help the audience connect with a character in a scene.

In terms of the Emotion technique I agree with Steph, I think the fun in the scene (for both the scene players and the audience) lies in the ability to keep heightening and pushing the scene in new, expanding ways. Emotions is a great technique because it allows for a great contrast between the two people on the stage while at the same time allowing them both to work together to heighten the audience's enjoyment.

Re: Homework

Jessica Peck
Great input Stephanie and Nicole!  I also love playing with characters and emotion on stage :)  You all did such great jobs heightening last class and it definitely makes a scene pop when you maintain and heighten the crazy character traits or extreme emotion.  Status is a little trickier to sometimes find or intentionally go into a scene with but will usually reveal itself within a scene.  See you in class soon!

Also, I hope the laundry/ironing went well Stephanie and it didn't heighten too much...

Lost .. but not found

Steph Tsang
Uh oh ... it seems that I was having soooo much fun at Improv tonight that I have forgotten my awesome, hi-tech, one-way pager at TIM this evening.

I tried to break into TIM but given that the extent of my burglary skills stops at Home Alone (I and II), I didn't get much further after I slipped on all of the marbles on the sidewalk outside after a paint bucket swung from ceiling and hit me on the forehead.

It's a small, black pager that I left on the window sill (behind the curtain) on the right-hand side.  Would it be possible to get in contact with someone who can help to keep this in safe-holding so I can pick this up at some point, or at least ensure that it doesn't get donated to the antique shop?

My cell is 760.699.6895, if you would like to reach me.  Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephanie

posting

Rafael "Rafi" Herreras-Zinman