Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Daniel K
This is our Discussion Thread for Improv 301! Welcome!

Week 1 Homework

Daniel K
Reply on this thread with your thoughts on week 1's homework!

Week 1 Homework

Marky Mark
Base reality: Man speaking with exterminator in his home
Unusual thing: Being "worried" about an infestation of cell phones
Framed: Exterminator will not accept cell phones as a threat
Other Characters: Family members enter with concerns about additional non ex-terminable threats, supporting the original unusual concept

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Chloe
The base reality is a homeowner in his house greeting a pest control worker and discussing the problem.

The first unusual thing is that the infestation is a mundane object.

The framing happens when a reasonable explanation is offered calling out the peculiar severity of the homeowners concern. Another character offers a simple solution and sets the owner up to again ask for a more drastic response. The wife mirrors and shares the odd reaction.

Re: Week 1 Homework

Kassi
Base Reality: Exterminator called to a home

First Unusual Thing: Home owner called about infestation of a normal object (4 large cell phones) in the attic

Reaction(Framing): Exterminator points outs (Frames) that the unusual thing was just a box of outdated cell phones (a normal item).  He was the voice of reason.  Other family member's reactions were to ask to have more outdated normal items - specifically rectangular & square - to be removed too.

Re: Week 1 Homework

Mike L.
The Reality Base. Where: The Attic
The First Unusual Thing: Is a concern for an infestation of inanimate objects.
Other character reaction : The exterminator. It's his belief that He's not needed(owner could have dealt with himself.) But He's still gonna charge for the house call, regardless. His wife, states her ambivalence to her husband. But affirms his concern, with the presence of a 5th pest. The narrator attempts to move the scene along.

Week 2 Homework

Daniel K
Hi class! Please reply to this thread with your thoughts on week 2's homework!

Re: Week 2 Homework

Chloe
1st unusual thing: The US census is asks if a man has friends that are albino.

Framing: “That’s the second question?” Points out the absurdity of the question.

Heightening: If we are in a world where the census asks about albinos then
-Albino people all hang out together in dark rooms.
-The census is actually a front for an organization that hunts albino people.
-They go to extreme measures like phone tapping and using helicopters to attack the group.
-People are chosen to become albino hunters.

Re: Week 2 Homework

Marky Mark
1st unusual thinfg: Census interviewer asks if a man has friends that are albino

Framing: “That’s the second question?” Emphasizes the oddity of the Albino question

Heightening: What else is true if Albinos are being singled out on the US Census?

Albinos congregate in dark basements
Albinos are to be ferreted out using Government spying tactics
People are forced to turn on their Albino friends by the Government

Re: Week 2 Homework

Mike L.
1 First unusual thing.
Census rep inquiry of number of albino friends he has.
2 Framing
Questioning the original  question.
3 Heightening the absurdity of the first unusual thing.
The Census questions are a ploy to recruit for Albino hunters.

Re: Week 2 Homework

Kassi
1. First Unusual Thing: Census questions are focused on Albino people
2. Framing: Home owner (Rob) responds: "That's the second question?"
3. Example of how they HEIGHTEN : The albinos friends, Reggie & Darren, house is being surrounded and lights shining on them - helicopters can be heard in background. It sounds like they are being hunted.  A man in a trench coat appears on top of car to tell Rob has been chosen to hunt albinos due to his friendship with them.

Re: Week 2 Homework

Jimmy
1) “do you have any friends that are albino?”
2) “that’s the second question?”
3) The idea of a group of albinos all hanging out in a basement together was a good way to heighten the scene, and allowed for the scene to progress in a way that it wouldnt have been able to without that new detail of that reality.

Week 3 Homework!

Daniel K

Re: Week 3 Homework!

Marky Mark
Who: Medical Students
Where: Cafeteria
What: Performing Surgery

Heightening
1: sanitizing hands before getting in the cafeteria line
2: going thru the tray line to collect organs/body parts for surgery
3: starting to perform surgery and asking the nurse for a spork

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Lindaray64
Astronaut as a school bus driver who speaks only astronaut.  Beat one: He's shocked kids don't have seatbelts; calls mission control (nice school secretary). Beat two: Bus gets flat tire; calls mission control ( longsuffering janitor. Beat three: He discovers he's left a kid out at the wrong bus stop awhile back; calls mission control (nice school secretary) and runs it down as if he left someone on the moon after a moon landing.

Cosmetic counter salesperson has a new job at Home Depot. She's matching colors and implement designs to customers' coloring, style choices and personality. Beat three: helps parents choose kids's room paint color by painting kid with sample colors.

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Kassi
Week 4 Homework:

Occupation/Characters:
1. We are the most ‘uniquely placed’ cooks!  Starting our own ‘cook on the run’ semi-truck cabs is really taking off!
2.  We are the most ‘nature inspired’ rocket engineers!  Designing all our all our rockets based on the 7 natural wonders is genius!
3.  We are most ‘accidental artistic’ construction workers!  When we took those plainly drawn pictures in this gallery and added missing details, I had no idea that would make us famous!

Locations:
1. This remote jungle is the most ‘baby friendly’ place!  I love that the trees have so many soft cubbies where we can change the baby’s diaper!
2. This ice cream store is the most ‘over-engineered’ shop!  We don’t have to scoop the ice cream when we can have a high- tech robot arm do it for us!
3. This library is the most ‘wish-fulfilling’ place.  I open a book, read it, and what I wish for appears in front of me!

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Michael A.
Week 4 Homework:

Occupations:
1. We are the most honest fisherman ever!
2. We are the most enunciative auctioneers ever!
3. We are the most germophobic zookeepers ever!

Locations:
1. This is the most punk-rock carousel ever!
2. This is the most recklessly aggressive archaeological dig ever!
3. This is the most injury-proof trampoline park ever!

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Chloe
We are the most polite zombies ever!

We are the most unenthusiastic dog lovers ever!

We are the most germophobic taxidermists ever!

This is the most forested volleyball court ever.

This is the most upscale laundromat ever.

This is the most inviting dark alleyway ever.

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Mike L.
We are the most unattractive TV hosts in the Business
We are the coolest, calmest and collective Driving Instructors in the world
This is the most indescriptive Sports announcer ever.

This the most immaculate Diner kitchen ever
This is the most drab Art museum in the world
This the most upscale, tolerant Police station in the universe.

Re: Improv 301 - April / May 2018

Linda Ray
This post was updated on .
We ballerinas are the most dangerous employees this antique mall ever had.
This antique mall is the worst possible place for us ballerinas to rehearse!
This rave is the noisiest place we’ve ever tried to play our banjo set!
We banjo players are the weirdest people at this rave.
We allergists are the most critical relatives gathered at grandma’s house.
Grandma’s house is the dustiest place we allergists ever go