Improv 201 July 2016

Cory Jenks
Greetings TIM 201'ers!! This is your official "Improv 201 starting July 2016" thread to get our class started. Please use this space to comment/recap the week's class, discuss any homework assignments, or any other improv related "ah-has," links, questions, or comments. Remember the more you engage both in and out of class, the more we will be able to get out of class itself. I will be on the forums 2-3 times per week to check in and see what's going on. Thanks for choosing TIM to continue your improv journey!

Cory

Re: Improv 201 July 2016

Erin
Hi all,

My apologies for the brief delay in getting our class recap posted. I've been traveling and finding time to post was a bit difficult. Here's what we did (and feel free to add onto my summary to elaborate on points I may have missed):

We focused this week on establishing base characters - real characters. We started by doing scenes as ourselves and by having conversations with each other as ourselves. In these roles we realized it was tough work to interact with a new classmate without asking questions. This got us thinking about how we interact with others in our daily lives and how that may look different from being on stage. In real life, we may use questions to inquire into a new person's experience, but on stage we want to highlight that we already know each other and this means avoiding questions.

We also focused on stock characters - at first we played these characters (police officers, baristas, co-workers) having real conversations. We challenged ourselves to think about the notion of 'if this is true, then what' and we thought about how these types of characters would be real - what do police officers and baristas and coworkers talk about as themselves, outside of their professional careers.

Next, we focused on big characters and matching each other on stage. In these scenes, you played with bringing a big physicality, big emotion, or big accent and using that to inform our character - we tried to still maintain an element of "real-ness" in our scenes - we weren't striving to be funny, but we were experimenting with big characters.

Throughout the class, we reflected on establishing who, what, and where. We wanted to focus on the relationship and the characters. That helped to establish our base reality. We spent time reflecting on ways we could establish this quickly so that we could develop depth with the relationships. We also worked to stay away from complicating our scenes - simple is better. Relationship is more valuable than additional content/plot. And, the funny will come.

We also need to think of a new move for Zoom, Schwartz, Profigliano (spelling?) for next week!

Watch lots of improv and share what you see/learn on the forum.
Can't wait to see everyone on Wednesday!

Best,
Erin

Re: Improv 201 July 2016

Cory Jenks
Thanks Erin! I couldn't have done it much better myself!

The focus in Week 1 was on establishing our Who, What, and Where and working on playing characters and scenes that were grounded in a base reality. This concept will apply to all of our scenes moving forward.

Anyone care to recap Week 2 for the class (and me!)?