Improv 201 - January 2018

Zack Armstrong
Greetings 201ers!

You all did a fantastic job Wednesday getting grounded, having believable conversations, and portraying interesting characters in a realistic way. Thanks for the laughs! The big take-aways were that even crazy town characters are people, and should be grounded in reality. It helps to connect us to our scene partners and the audience. Plus, outlandish characters talking about ordinary things can be quite hilarious!

In week 2, we'll start to look at strong scene initiations (how a scene begins) and how important it is for the momentum and direction of a scene.

Just a reminder, your homework is to watch improv, live or on YouTube, etc. Last night was our first show in the new theater and it was a success! There's still 1 more chance to catch live improv at TIM this weekend, tonight at 7:30 is the Throwdown! The 9pm show is a stand-up show, which should also be really fun.

Post any links and your observations about what you saw and we'll keep the dialogue going on Wednesday.

Have a great day!
Zack

Re: Improv 201 - January 2018

Nicole
Hey All,

I'm planning on catching the 9pm Soapbox show on Friday (aka tomorrow). Thinking about meeting a tad bit earlier, at 8pm, and maybe grabbing a drink first, if anyone wants to join?

Let know if you're interested, (520) 906-0881, hopefully I'll see y'all there!

Re: Improv 201 - January 2018

Marky Mark
Going! Meet you out front 8ish 😜
520-665-1852

Re: Improv 201 - January 2018 (HW -

Steph Tsang
Howdy,
Here are my examples of characters exhibiting animal traits:

1.) Gustavo Fring -- Crocodile
Giancarlo's Esposito's character of Gustavo Fring bears a striking resemblance of a crocodile to me, not just in terms of physical traits, but the deadly threat he poses and the ferocity with which he strikes, while he/it can otherwise be found swimming along quietly, peacefully, with the extent of his/its brutality unexposed. As Gustavo Fring once mentioned to Water White, "I hide in plain sight, same as you." (I suppose the Walter White analogy for animal in this case would be a Komodo Dragon(?) ... or another type of animal that can take down a crocodile ... but I didn't explore this possibility as much.)

2.) Benecio del Toro -- Grumpy Cat
I think the inception of the idea for this one stemmed from his general facial expressions and perceived demeanor, which can be misleading in that he likely is not "angry/grumpy" on a day-to-day basis in actuality, much like the real Grumpy Cat, whose seemingly permanent grumpiness (as I am sure you already know) is attributed to feline dwarfism. Both have a perceived demeanor that deviates from their actual moods/personalities, except at times when they really are grumpy/angry ...

3.) Cecilia Tallis - (some variation of an elegant animal)
This would not exclusively apply to Kiera Knightley's character of Cecilia Tallis in Atonement, as her perennial elegance as an actress is evident with almost any role she plays, but is a fitting example, as Cecilia's character (I believe) was intended to embody traits such as elegance and beauty (to also justify Robbie's enamored state for her).
While I admit this association of elegance to various animals might be biased due to lack of interaction of anything more than watching BBC Earth or National Geographic, (e.g. I am fascinated with polar bears, but perhaps if I lived Baffin Island saw them more frequently, I could understand a feeling of near indifference or just ... "not-as-excited"), animals such as Cheetahs, Impalas (image below for reference), giraffes, swans, Gerenuk ("giraffe antelope") are exhibit this trait. Their elegance is persistent; as some of these animals are even carnivorous predators. As a analogue, albeit lightly morbid, Kiera Knightley could play a role as cannibalistic hunter, and still exude elegance, which is also a testament to her talent, of course ... but I think you get the point ...

Looking forward to catching up more with you folks and seeing your responses.
Until then,
Steph/Stephanie/Doris (<--- my mn ... thanks to the Parentals )

Dang Steph!

Marky Mark
Great examples, I'm gonna have to work hard to present mine half as good

TIM 02-02-2018

Marky Mark
Hey All,

I'm planning on catching the 9pm show on Saturday (tonight). Thinking about meeting a tad bit earlier, at 8pm, and maybe grabbing a drink first, if anyone wants to join?

Let know if you're interested, (520) 665-1852, hopefully I'll see y'all there!

Re: TIM 02-02-2018

melaniegleason
Hey everyone—I'm feeling a lil under the weather today so will unfortunately miss y'all tonite but looking forward to next time. Maybe again after class on Wed/next weekend? Have fun tonight!
Mel

Re: TIM 02-02-2018

Mel
Hey!  I'm going to the 9pm show and there was talk of bowling after! See you there!

Re: TIM 02-02-2018

Steph Tsang
Sounds delightful!

Re: TIM 02-02-2018

Marky Mark

201 Boweling Team cake!

Re: Improv 201 - January 2018 (HW -

Zack Armstrong
These are great! So sorry I missed them!

Look everyone! I'm here!

Re: Improv 201 - January 2018

Steph Tsang
Example: Dave Chappelle as Prince and Charlie Murphy as himself: 1) Was the sketch or show funny, why? &
2) How did the complimentary characters contrast each other?
--Yes, quite funny, and I think the contrast in the characters attributed to the humor. We expected Prince to not be a superstar basketball player, but he was consistently confident and smooth throughout the sketch. Charlie Murphy on the other hand was ultimately humbled (some could argue humiliated) by Prince's basketball skills.
3) Why did the characters contrast each other?
One (based mostly off of appearances, his performances as an artist, and how he portrayed himself in the media) would not expect Prince to be a superstar basketball player. But Charlie Murphy and his crew were certainly surprised ...
4) Did any of them argue, or did it seem mean, if yes why, if not, why?
--They did not really argue in this sketch. There was competition, but Charlie Murphy and his crew accepted their defeat graciously, and everyone in the end enjoyed pancakes served by Prince .... pancakes.