Improv 101 - January/February

Veronica Simon

I would love for us to have discussion on the forums throughout the week.  Feel free to post some thoughts as to what your favorite moments from class were, or if you had any ah ha moments! Also - feel free to post any videos, blogs, resources, etc. that you think would be for the good of the group.

Or post your thoughts about the homework:
Do At Home Activity: The dada speech: stand in the middle of a room, and launch into a speech, with the goal of not making any sense.  Look at an object in the room and start to talk about it, don't stay on any topic too long and make sense of nothing.  For example: Candles are dogs when books tell a story of peanuts from heaven.  When I was only seven dollars I went to my own factor brush, see?  No one knows my father knew his cat was a green in the Texas town of pig boy."

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
Hello all!  I loved sharing this class with 13 wonderful improv "yes ands".  My favorite moments were the throwing of the Improv Spear and the Freeze game. I appreciated the instructors kudos at the end of class.  I'm hooked!  Thank you, Beryl

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Parker Poderoso
What a fun first night! It was nice to meet everyone; I think learning improv with this group is going to be a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed the warm ups and finding the important lessons in each (non-verbal communication, sharing energy, building a scene, listening, being patiently aware of people and dialogue). My favorite moments from the first night were the energy and fast pace of “Zoom, Schwartz, Puraglio" (spelling?) and how differently some people chose to portray characters like a 2nd grader at a “10” on the first day of school. I think I have my work cut out for me over the next 5 weeks ;)

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
I attended the 7:30 pm show last night.  I was struck by the fearlessness of the people on stage.  The games they played were detailed.  I am excited, nervous, and most importantly, curious to see where this adventure will take me.

I purchased Jill Bernard's, Small Cute Book Of Improv from the concession room.  I will share her Vimeo link.  It's also, Small and cute.  http://vimeo.com/10174722.

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Andrea
What a fabulous brain growing culture TIM is.  I love how allowing our brains to move in multiple directions --while remaining present-- is a wonderful training and challenge.  I look forward to more!

Just finished the book Yes,And and find it very worthwhile, especially for its application for anyone who works in a team or ensemble!

See y'all soon!

A n d r e a ~

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
Emotion Words: A-not-so-tiny list

Joyful
Tenderness
Helpless
Defeated
Rageful
Cheerful
Sympathy
Powerless
Bored
Outraged
Content
Adoration
Dreading
Rejected
Hostile
Proud
Fondness
Distrusting
Disillusioned
Bitter
Satisfied
Receptive
Suspicious
Inferior
Hateful
Excited
Interested
Cautious
Confused
Scornful
Amused
Delighted
Disturbed
Grief-stricken
Spiteful
Elated
Shocked
Overwhelmed
Helpless
Vengeful
Enthusiastic
Exhilarated
Uncomfortable
Isolated
Disliked
Optimistic
Dismayed
Guilty
Numb
Resentful
Elated
Amazed
Hurt
Regretful
Trusting
Delighted
Confused
Lonely
Ambivalent
Alienated
Calm
Stunned
Melancholy
Exhausted
Bitter
Relaxed
Interested
Depressed
Insecure
Insulted
Relieved
Intrigued
Hopeless
Disgusted
Indifferent
Hopeful
Absorbed
Sad
Pity

Pleased
Curious
Guilty
Revulsion

Confident
Anticipating
Hurt
Contempt

Brave
Eager
Lonely
Weary

Comfortable
Hesitant
Regretful
Bored

Safe
Fearful
Depressed
Preoccupied

Happy
Anxious
Hopeless
Angry

Love
Worried
Sorrow
Jealous

Lust
Scared
Uncertain
Envious

Aroused
Insecure
Anguished
Annoyed

Tender
Rejected
Disappointed
Humiliated

Compassionate
Horrified
Self conscious
Irritated

Caring
Alarmed
Shamed
Aggravated

Infatuated
Shocked
Embarrassed
Restless

Concern
Panicked
Humiliated
Grumpy

Trust
Afraid
Disgraced
Awkward

Liking
Nervous
Uncomfortable
Exasperated

Attraction
Disoriented
Neglected
Frustrated

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Veronica
BTW, I am going to use this to update my personal list!!!

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
Hello 101s!  We talked about getting together at my office this Sunday to "play".  We started an e-mail list but it didn't make it back to me.  Here is my contact info: 520-272-0659.   Text if you want to participate.  I'm thinking 1-3 pm would work well.  When I receive your confirmation, I'll send you my business address.  :O)

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Mike
I'm going to see the show(s) tonight if anybody's down to meet up! The 7:30 for sure, maybe 9 too.
Mike 520-241-1094

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Veronica
I was glad to see a few of you at the shows this weekend!

Did you guys notice anything that stood out?

Did anyone do something that you learned in class (or something you learned not to do?)

I wasn't able to stay for the Thornberry's show, but did anyone go up and jam?!

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
Tonights class was a blast!  You did a great job of inspiring us to our highest intelligent selves.  Thank you!

Re: Improv 101 - January/February

Beryl
Amy Poehler's speech, was amusing and helpful.  Of all the suggestions she gave regarding improv, I think living in the moment is the most important for me.  If I can stay in the moment, then I'm listening to what my partner is saying and this leads to "yes and".  Also, I have noticed that a pause is not necessarily a stalling of the scene.  "Look into your partner's eyes" was another way of making improv more successful.  Creating a relationship is certainly easier when we "connect" with the person we are sharing the scene with.  Yes AND....I need much more practice.