Improv 101 - April 2017

Justin
So excited to spend the next 6 weeks learning improv with you all.  I can already tell we have a great group!  Please share ah hah moments, cool links to things, impressions on class, things you learned, etc!  Let's keep the conversation going!

Class Roster:
Bahl Anand
Barnett Michael
Deitch Michael
Duke Riley
Gossen Megan
Hasbrouck Lida
Hebb Dean
Hilton Holly
Hong David
Kenney Aileen
Lyndes Danielle
Ogrady Katherine
Rau Eric
Wilson Katherine

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

AileenK
I have lots of thoughts, but I think I'll let them percolate for a bit before I share.

Until then, I think I'm going Friday night to watch some Improv.  Anyone else?

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

David Hong
One thing that I was expecting out of the class was to be able to have fun and just get back to that childlike way of playing and pretending. And for me, the class really did that, especially the warm-ups.

An aha moment for me was during the carpool exercise. It made me realize how much in my conversations I just throw a bunch of tennis balls at someone, and it makes it more confusing for them to get one back to me.

Has anyone seen the episode from the Office about the improv class? For the longest time, that was all I knew about improv.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Danielle_L
I think I'm going to do Friday night too! See you there!

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Justin
Awesome realization about the tennis balls and throwing too much at folks during our conversations.  It's amazing how with improv when you think about having a conversation in front of people watching and hoping they understand what is happening, how much we can learn about our regular communication styles.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

AileenK
My favorite thing about Improv ... "SO FAR"...

At work all day, we exist in these little hierarchies, where it's all about finding your place in the food chain.  Finding out who you are subservient to... or superior to....   Improv felt like this place where we either all succeed together or fail together.   I haven't felt that kind of altruistic support in a long time.  Pretty cool.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

HollyH
Did anyone else have improv dreams last week?  Dreams are the brain's way of processing information, so it's a good sign.  Mine involved trying to get to a destination I'd been to many times, but I had to follow a new route via a map I didn't know how to read yet.

Looking forward to learning how to read that map!

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Lida (Lee-duh)
Yes, and the most interesting part to me about class 1 was how difficult the carpool scene was! ;) I mean, all day we're constantly reacting and responding to things we couldn't possibly anticipate, and I thought it would be relatively similar. Instead, it felt like I had never had an actual conversation in my life! Lol. Can't wait for tonight's class! If anyone else shows up early, I'm typically going to be grabbing a beer beforehand in the Cafe Passé bar right around the corner. They start serving at 4, and happy hour starts then as well.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Lida (Lee-duh)
Hey er'body! If anyone is up for trying/doing some rock climbing at Rocks and Ropes tomorrow (Thursday, April 13) I was thinking of going! I've only ever been once and it's pretty fun and honestly a lot easier than you might think. You can just show up in comfy clothes and then you sign the waiver and pay for admission ($15) and gear rental ($6), or $30 for a full first-time package including the optional first-time lesson/orientation ($12). You can climb without the lesson, which is what I did last time, but they don't allow you to belay without it. Optimally most people would do the lesson, so we have more people to belay. First-timers have to get there at least 3 hours before close, so I was thinking of going by about 6 pm. If anyone's interested, feel free to reply here or text me at 313.977.1228. :)

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Riley Duke
I'd definitely be up to go sometime! Only problem is I kinda messed up my leg a few days ago and it's still healing. Keep me in the loop on what your guys' rock climbing schedule happens to be in the next few weeks and I'll let you know when I'm set to go!

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Riley Duke
Yeah! I really liked that too. For me, it feels like we have a little community where were all just trying to work together and bring out the best in each other.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Justin
Improv is definitely a team sport, sometimes we talk about how the team is only as good as the least committed person, so how do we all work to be equally committed and working together to make the stuff we are doing great.

Excited to see you all tonight!
Justin

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Kzwilson@gmail.com
I have no idea how to start a new thread as a forum novice, but just wanted to say that these past theee classes have been fun and give a new sense of teamwork. I've been trying to do more and work to jump in and help

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Lida (Lee-duh)
Hi all! An indoor rock climbing date at Rocks and Ropes has been set for tomorrow (Thursday, April 27)! So far there are 4 of us from class as well as at least 2 other people I know going, in case you want to join! It's fun and very easy to try. I'm probably going to get there by about 6, and I'm going to take the belay lesson. It sounds like everyone will plan to arrive between 6-6:30. The address is 330 S Toole Ave, right downtown. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Aileen
Thanks for organizing!  I have a birthday dinner, so I can't make it.  But I have been wanting to rock climb.  Keep me posted for next time!

Improv 101 - April 2017

HollyH
Here are the links to the improv podcasts I mentioned at Crooked Tooth last night:

Improvised Star Trek is a group that improvises episodes of Star Trek based on fan suggestions.  The crew of the USS Sisyphus is probably not who you want saving the universe.

Hello from the Magic Tavern is about a guy who fell through a dimensional portal behind a Burger King into the magical, fantastical land of Foon.  He still gets a slight wifi signal from the Burger King, so he does a podcast each with with a shapeshifting badger and a wizard.

Both of these shows feature continuing characters, but are completely improvised.

Finally, Improv 4 Humans is a short-form improv podcast hosted by Matt Besser of Upright Citizens Brigade.

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Lida (Lee-duh)
Going to Rocks and Ropes again tonight! I'll probably arrive at about 6 :)

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

anzbahl
Anyone else going to 7:30 show tonight? I'll be there!

Re: Improv 101 - April 2017

Danielle_L
I will be there!